Friday, October 12, 2012

Christchurch Stay

I've just had a short holiday break down in Christchurch.




 You don't have to wander far in many parts of the city to see that even the 'normal' looking things like a sign for a walk, or a footpath, are not quite 'normal' yet.
















But there were still lots of treasures to find, these anemones and this pot both in a friend's garden.














And I find there are some patterns that always attract my eye: shadows on paths, and the infinite variation in colours and shapes in woodpiles.


 My friend and I realised we both seem to have a fascination with stones- perhaps harking back to Celtic origins.

And to finish- a 'bridge to nowhere' in a changing garden. 

Shadows, woodpiles, stones and bridges- themes I seem to return to...

6 comments:

  1. Your photos are brilliant in their simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is interesting is that from the city of Christchurch, your photos are not very urban! More than buildings and traffic in cities!

    Michèle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrew. Michèle, I simply didn't have the heart to shoot urban photos- there is so much damage around, and I don't think a visitor like me has the right to be idly 'snapping' that. I did have a shot from up high when we were walking that showed how 'low rise' the central city now is- but I found that I didn't want to post it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about the earthquake damage in Christchurch. I like your response, it shows integrity and respect for the residents.

      Michèle

      Delete
  4. I paid a visit to Christchurch - my home town - in the April holidays. It was the first time I'd been there since the earthquakes, and I was utterly dismayed at the terrible state of some parts of the city. My sister and her husband live in New Brighton, which is very badly affected; I found the whole visit very depressing.

    Your pictures are lovely, though. I love rocks, stones, pebbles too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have friends in Richmond and also just north of the city. Both have some major damage and are in 'limbo'. The saddest thing I found was when we drove past the Catholic Cathedral which just looked so desolate in its half-dismantled state. And when the winds blew there was so much dust. We walked out via a rural route to my second lot of friends, and though we tried to avoid the streets with the worst damage, the sections that are now bare told a very sad story.

    ReplyDelete