Sunday, February 20, 2011

51: Clocktower at night

I have brought you a photo of the clocktower in the Square before- way back on Day 28. But a few days ago, when the large moon was amazing us across the globe, I tried shooting lights at night, starting with the moon.

And tonight I decided I would try a few more night shots, at the Clocktower. I was amazed at how good the camera was at capturing detail, even when it had become quite dark. I couldn't read the time on the clock, but the camera could... And herewith, I share with you this 'crooked clocktower' photo this evening.

(See more clocktower photos here.)

6 comments:

  1. Stunning- not only the colours but putting it on an angle like that helped the composition along too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By day or night, it is a very impressive clock tower. As you may know, I take photos of old advertising signs. There are times when they are so faded, I can't read them, but sometimes I can read them in the camera photo. Remarkable technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful shot! Did you use a tripod (I feel sure you must have).
    Does the clock have a local gname (e.g. "Big Ben")?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I am awake at a silly hour...mossie bites got itchy under the heat of the duvet...going back to bed now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allanah... I took quite a few shots, playing around- just decided I would go with the sideways quirky one, and get rid of the other buildings which showed up far more than I was expecting! Andrew, it is a beautiful clocktower- from the 50s and restored in 1996-7 though there is a 'cross' lantern on top that is somewhat debated, as was the cross before it, not part of the original design. Maalie, I didn't use a tripod. This new camera has some strengths and weaknesses. Often hopeless at macro, but amazing at zoom and in low light. The moon shots I took the other night were without tripod, but I was able to rest my arm on a wooden rail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maalie... forgot... sometimes called Hopwood Clocktower after local man who donated money for tower. Clock was originally in Post Office tower which I think was an earthquake risk.

    ReplyDelete