Wednesday, May 07, 2008

In Montcuq

Time seems to be passing quickly, and I am heading south. Stayed a night in Vaylats in a convent; and there was an elderly Swiss couple there who are walking the Camino to celebrate their 52nd year of marriage! And they are here again in this gite tonight. Quite something. He carries most of the gear and she carries a smaller amount.

Next day was a longish walk to Cahors where the whole dream of doing this started really. It was a very hot afternoon and I ran out of water. In the amazing fashion of this Camino, someone ran after me to give me some fresh cool water that a local had given them. The kindness was even more restorative than the water.

Next day I only walked 5.5 km as the further gite was full; but Domaine de Mathieux was a superb place to stay, surrounded by trees. And it was raining anyhow so I was quite glad to be out of it! Today has been overcast etc but perfect conditions for walking; except for the think mud this afternoon!


On Thursday I reach Moissac and stay there two nights in a gite run by an Irish couple. He was able to spell my surname!
OK gotta go. Am well and meeting lots of friendly people and staying in many very welcoming gites.

4 comments:

  1. Hi kiwi nomad. I am avidly following your blog as I leave to walk the camino on 18th May. I have been out walking the rural roads around where I live to try and prepare for about 800 kilometres!!! I start at St Jean Pied de Port. Bien Camino
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine... I am sorry my blog posts have been so short, but the Le Puy route is mostly in very rural France without much internet. I hope I will arrive in SJPP before the end of May.
    I walked mainly rural roads near me, as well as the Manawatu Gorge track, and I found they were both good preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiwi Nomad
    I am getting very excited about walking the camino and am looking forward to some warm weather.Its starting to get cold in NZ. I hear you have had a lot of mud so by the time I arrive I think the weather will have improved I expect to start from SJPP on 21st or 22nd may so may see you on the way.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be getting ready to leave home now Christine! All the best as you start your Camino. I think I will be crossing the Pyrenees in about two weeks, so I will be a bit behind you!

    ReplyDelete